Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I'm Sorry

I made a devastatingly horrible mistake today.

As is my routine, I check my Facebook each morning and send birthday wishes to all on my list.  It's always a happy or funny picture.  Something to make the birthday girl or guy smile on their special day.

This evening I received a message from the daughter of someone I wished happy birthday to recently.  She very kindly informed me that her father had passed away and sent me a link to his obituary.

My heart sank to my stomach.
How could I have been so stupid?
How could I have missed his passing?
How could I have hurt his family with my misguided birthday wishes?

I remember when Steve's first heavenly birthday rolled around and friends that we hadn't seen in ages wrote him birthday wishes on his Facebook page.  I, too, had to share the sad news with them of Steve's passing.  It was grueling.

I hope the family of my college friend forgives me for my mistake.  I hope they know how much I liked their father and how much fun he was in college.  I hope they know that I grieve with them. I hope they know that I will envelop them in prayers. I hope they find peace on this rocky journey called grief.

27
Cyna